There may be troubles ahead: England selection issues.

What's buzzing in the world of cricket....

Re: There may be troubles ahead: England selection issues.

Postby sussexpob » Sun Nov 25, 2018 7:03 pm

Arthur Crabtree wrote: It's tempting to think that Stokes should step up his responsibilities as a top order bat now he has a great deal of experience. But stats suggest he isn't actually getting any better, for all his coaching makes him look a nice straight orthodox batter. What we have had so far is a number seven batter and a fourth seamer augmented by some excellent fielding. His record against sides with strong spin attacks isn't that good. In ten Tests this year he averages under 27 with no hundreds. My gut feeling is that he'll start to score runs again. Though it always has been.

What motivation does Stokes have to buck down and get better? The fact is, most of the English press proclaimed him a cricketing god after 3 games, and ever since he's been touted consistently as some legend. He has had it easier than any cricketer I could really ever remember, he has at times displayed bad attitude in the dressing room, has problems off the pitch, and as a player has so far not exactly blown the doors off in either discipline. I could imagine KP being destroyed for half the things Ben does, but he cops nothing. He's been continually praise for what little production he gives, so why would he work harder? Not like his current lack of quality is being called out. He can be a passenger all he wants. Case in point, he averages 25 for a year and people are writing articles about him being a technically perfect player. :facepalm

Remember all those innings when he was on "form"? Were any of those innings "clean"? All I remember is the missed stumpings, the constant dropped catches, and that time the ball smacked the offstump and the bail didnt dislodge. He got levels of luck verging on the insane. When people take catches, take stumpings, and balls dont my some miracle fail to remove the bails, he's been well under par.
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

And a hat and bra to you too, my good sirs!
sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....
England and Norway at everything else

Postby The Professor » Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:09 pm

Of the spin trio I think it is Leach that has proved the most undroppable.

Rashid and Ali together are too aggressive - Leach offers stultifying economy which gives the other licence to push forward.

Leach could be our Lyon.
"It has been said of the unseen army of the dead, on their everlasting march, that when they are passing a rural cricket ground the Englishman falls out of the ranks for a moment to look over the gate and smile."
The Professor

Team(s) Supported: England
Kent

Postby Slipstream » Tue Nov 27, 2018 3:05 am

sussexpob wrote:
Arthur Crabtree wrote: It's tempting to think that Stokes should step up his responsibilities as a top order bat now he has a great deal of experience. But stats suggest he isn't actually getting any better, for all his coaching makes him look a nice straight orthodox batter. What we have had so far is a number seven batter and a fourth seamer augmented by some excellent fielding. His record against sides with strong spin attacks isn't that good. In ten Tests this year he averages under 27 with no hundreds. My gut feeling is that he'll start to score runs again. Though it always has been.

What motivation does Stokes have to buck down and get better? The fact is, most of the English press proclaimed him a cricketing god after 3 games, and ever since he's been touted consistently as some legend. He has had it easier than any cricketer I could really ever remember, he has at times displayed bad attitude in the dressing room, has problems off the pitch, and as a player has so far not exactly blown the doors off in either discipline. I could imagine KP being destroyed for half the things Ben does, but he cops nothing. He's been continually praise for what little production he gives, so why would he work harder? Not like his current lack of quality is being called out. He can be a passenger all he wants. Case in point, he averages 25 for a year and people are writing articles about him being a technically perfect player. :facepalm

Remember all those innings when he was on "form"? Were any of those innings "clean"? All I remember is the missed stumpings, the constant dropped catches, and that time the ball smacked the offstump and the bail didnt dislodge. He got levels of luck verging on the insane. When people take catches, take stumpings, and balls dont my some miracle fail to remove the bails, he's been well under par.

Agree with what you say. Stokes is undroppable. Plays whether injured or not. Before Bristol batting 35.72. Since then 26.85. I would still play him at three instead of having an easy time down the order.
Slipstream

Postby The Professor » Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:58 pm

Big news from the ECB - Jofra Archer appears to eligible for England selection from January 1 next year. New regs for British citizens and those born in UK - three years residence provided they have not played as a local elsewhere during this time...
"It has been said of the unseen army of the dead, on their everlasting march, that when they are passing a rural cricket ground the Englishman falls out of the ranks for a moment to look over the gate and smile."
The Professor

Team(s) Supported: England
Kent

Postby Slipstream » Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:29 pm

To WI

1Root
2 Ali
3 Anderson
4 Bairstow
5 Broad
6 Burns
7 Buttler
8 Curran
9 Jennings
10 Leach
11 Rashid
12 Stokes
13 Woakes
14 Roy
15 Archer
16 Pope
Last edited by Slipstream on Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Slipstream

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:33 pm

Personally I think any UK citizen should be available to play for England. But it's typically craven of the ECB to bring in those extreme qualification rules and then flip-flop as soon as it's convenient.
I always say that everybody's right.
Arthur Crabtree

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire.

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:35 pm

Slipstream wrote:First Test in the West Indies

1 Burns
2 Jennings
3 Bairstow
4 Root
5 Stokes
6 Buttler
7 Foakes
8 Ali
9 Archer
10 Broad
11 Anderson

He won't get in the Test side will he?

Not good news for a number of potential WC players, like Jordan or Stone or the Currans.
Arthur Crabtree

Postby Slipstream » Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:49 pm

Arthur Crabtree wrote:
Slipstream wrote:First Test in the West Indies

1 Burns
2 Jennings
3 Bairstow
4 Root
5 Stokes
6 Buttler
7 Foakes
8 Ali
9 Archer
10 Broad
11 Anderson

He won't get in the Test side will he?

Not good news for a number of potential WC players, like Jordan or Stone or the Currans.

Will be able to stake a claim in the warm up games. First class batting average 31.34. If Bayliss thought he had a headache in selection before he has a bigger one now.
Slipstream

Postby Slipstream » Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:53 pm

Latest
@Cricket_Ali

Update on Jofra Archer ... looking like he will have met the criteria for England qualification some time around mid-March 2019 (so effectively rules out Caribbean tour). Yet to reach 210 days in his third year of residency and is committed to overseas T20 spells this winter
Slipstream

Postby Slipstream » Sat Dec 01, 2018 3:37 pm

http://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id/ ... -exclusive

"In the Tests I'd probably just like to bat just after Sam [Curran]. Either before or after Sam. Both of us are attacking and I think we could really do some damage if we do get together," he said.

Picking his place already, will Curran be even in the side if Archer is?
Slipstream

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Sat Dec 01, 2018 5:04 pm

Plenty of possibilities when Broad and Anderson move on. England sometimes moot that they are going to rotate them. They rarely do, but it seems to be on the agenda.
Arthur Crabtree

Postby Slipstream » Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:13 am

Arthur Crabtree wrote:Plenty of possibilities when Broad and Anderson move on. England sometimes moot that they are going to rotate them. They rarely do, but it seems to be on the agenda.

Broad isn't going anywhere for a few years. He is only 32. Last match was bowling 85.7-89.5mph. Anderson this year 43 wickets at 22.51. I know people are tired of seeing them bowling and want to get their favourites in.

So say there's not JA and SB what will the bowling look like?
Jennings Burns Bairstow Root Stokes Butter Ali Foakes Woakes Archer Curran. :)
Slipstream

Postby andy » Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:46 pm

Curran at 11 is a hell of a lot of batting lol!
2012 - ENG vs SA ODI series winner
2013 - US Open golf winner, WI vs PAK winner , ENG vs OZ ODI and T20 winner
2015- Open golf championship winner
2017 - OZ vs Pak odi'S, AUS vs NZ ODI, NZ vs SA Tests , WI vs PAK tests
2018 - NZ vs Pak t20 FL winner2018 - SA vs Ind test match fl winner US open golf FL [color=#0000FF] - [color=#FF0000]Open golf FL winner

Essex CCC county champions
andy

Team(s) Supported: Essex CCC
West ham united
Sunrisers Hyderberad
England

Postby westoelad » Sun Dec 02, 2018 7:37 pm

Stokes and Hales hearing this week, I believe. Be surprised if any sanctions are imposed on Stokes: fact is legally he's been found not guilty of affray and has served several months suspension imposed by ECB. Not sure he deserves the legend status imposed by the press but there's nothing he can do about that. His bowling in SL reached a new level as did his fielding. He's a leader on the field and highly regarded by his teammates. Not yet a legend but undoubtedly an indispensable member of the team.
westoelad

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:08 pm

Hales and Stokes face no further suspension.
Arthur Crabtree

PreviousNext

Return to International Cricket