There may be troubles ahead: England selection issues.

What's buzzing in the world of cricket....

Re: There may be troubles ahead: England selection issues.

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:01 pm

I get the impression Mo is (sadly) a dead duck as a Test bat.
I always say that everybody's right.
Arthur Crabtree

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire.

Postby Slipstream » Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:24 pm

Alviro Patterson wrote:Not sure how certain players can be tipped for Ashes selection when there is going to be If a solid eight rounds of County Championship cricket between Mid-May and Mid-July. Plenty of time for players in their natural positions to make their case for England selection.

If England are contemplating playing someone else at 3 in the Windies 3rd test as a one off, might as well play Moeen in that position since he bats there for Worcestershire. Moeen at 3, Bairstow at 5 would make a difference in preventing middle order batting collapses.

Well Jennings said he is hoping to get lots of runs in the cc and be back opening the batting for the Ashes. Really? I just can't see how batsmen who don't make the grade in Test cricket get given another go, and then another. Maybe after a year or two they might have improved. So if Ballance gets lots of runs (I am not going to change the way I play) is he in? How many goes are players going to get? Vince's name has come up yet again. I think 2 chances and that is it.
Slipstream

Postby Alviro Patterson » Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:28 pm

It's the way names are bandied about for a series six months away, like there are favourites within the hierarchy instead of casting the net far and wide.

In regards to players, I am thinking in the lines of Daryl Mitchell and James Hildreth who have performed consistently in red ball cricket and are worth considering for Ashes selection. They might be classed as short term selections, but Mitchell would be good foil for Burns and Hildreth can take pressure off the middle to lower order.
"Stats are there to be broken" Dominic Cork
"They took all our players away, banned our captain and we still came away with a ten-wicket victory" Jason Gillespie
"You won't get anywhere slouching about half out of bed" Geoffrey Boycott

2011-12 Oz vs India Tests FL guru | 2012-13 Oz vs SA Tests FL guru | 2012-13 Bang vs WI combined FL guru | 2013 Friends Life T20 FL guru | 2015 The Ashes FL guru | 2015 County Championship D2 FL guru | 2016 Womens WT20 FL guru| 2016 Eng v Pak Tests FL guru | 2017 Kia Super League FL guru | 2018 County Championship D2 FL guru
Alviro Patterson

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire CCC, Bradford City FC

Postby Slipstream » Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:43 am

Alviro Patterson wrote:It's the way names are bandied about for a series six months away, like there are favourites within the hierarchy instead of casting the net far and wide.

In regards to players, I am thinking in the lines of Daryl Mitchell and James Hildreth who have performed consistently in red ball cricket and are worth considering for Ashes selection. They might be classed as short term selections, but Mitchell would be good foil for Burns and Hildreth can take pressure off the middle to lower order.

I like those two selections alot but I can't see that happening.
Slipstream

Postby alfie » Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:54 am

Not sure how much credence I'd place in that Telegraph article.

As AP points out there is plenty of red ball cricket before the Ashes. If they aren't set on ignoring form , that is : given some of the recent selection choices suppose that is also a possibility though :dunno

If Vince were to be recalled surely it would not be at the top of the order : have they not just come to the realization that it actually pays to be a bit careful when opening the innings ? And I think it is probably a little early to decide that the Bairstow at three plan isn't going to work. I too have my doubts but he does have a century and a fifty from just three games so far...and his second innings , somewhat indiscreet , loose drive dismissal came after keeping wicket for 130 overs...
Of course they may wish to return YJB to keeping and batting at six/ seven (guess he will have to anyway this week if Foakes is injured) : but that seems also a rather premature rejection of Foakes ( who a couple of games back was being hailed as the new Gilchrist)

I know Bayliss shuns watching the county game ; but they do have spotters , no ? Surely you might at least consider picking two openers with decent techniques who are in form in the season concerned ? Rather than attempting to pull a rabbit from a hat ...which is possibly a poorly chosen animal given its cricketing slang implications :)

As for this next match they just have to pick whoever is fit and sort 'em into the best order they can think of. Won't mean much for the summer but they really don't want to lose 3-0 so the priority should be immediate utility rather than experimentation.

Really hope Stokes is fit.
alfie

Postby Slipstream » Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:16 am

Jennings after being dropped is back :angry
Foakes :fit
Slipstream

Postby andy » Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:45 pm

staggered that Foakes is dropped...bats middle order for Surrey he's a better than Buttler, put him at 5 with the gloves...superior gloveman too!!! Jennings is just downright awful
2012 - ENG vs SA ODI series winner
2013 - US Open golf winner, WI vs PAK winner , ENG vs OZ ODI and T20 winner
2015- Open golf championship winner
2017 - OZ vs Pak odi'S, AUS vs NZ ODI, NZ vs SA Tests , WI vs PAK tests
2018 - NZ vs Pak t20 FL winner2018 - SA vs Ind test match fl winner US open golf FL [color=#0000FF] - [color=#FF0000]Open golf FL winner

Essex CCC county champions
andy

Team(s) Supported: Essex CCC
West ham united
Sunrisers Hyderberad
England

Postby ianp1970 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:48 pm

Maybe for the summer we should choose the right formation, then select the personnel to suit it?

In usual English conditions it would be something akin to:

2 Openers
3 Batsmen
1 All Rounder
1 Wicket Keeper
1 Spinner
1 Speedster
2 Openers

Amongst the batsmen there should not be a trio of 'natural' number 3's or 5's.
A second wicket keeper should only be picked if he is good enough to play as a batsman in his own right.
One of the bowlers should be adequate enough with the bat to come in at number 8.
Sports broadcasting media nut miscast as a hard-working family man. Or should that be the other way around?

2020 Women's T20 World Cup
2019 New Zealand v Bangladesh Tests, Vitality Blast & County Championship Division 1 6 Nations Rugby, Wimbledon Tennis & US Open Tennis
2018 New Zealand v West Indies Combined, Afghanistan v Bangladesh T20s, England v Pakistan Tests, England v India T20s+ODIs, Sri Lanka v England Tests, Mzansi Super League & Bangladesh v West Indies Combined Australian Open Tennis, 6 Nations Rugby, Masters Golf, Premier League Football & French Open Tennis
2017 Premier League Football, French Open Tennis & Wimbledon Tennis
2016 South Africa v England ODIs, England v Sri Lanka Tests, County Championship Division 2 & Australia v New Zealand ODIs Australian Open Tennis, 6 Nations Rugby, Masters Golf, Premier League Football, Players Golf, US PGA Golf & US Open Tennis
2015 Indian Premier League, The Ashes & England v Australia ODIs Masters Golf, Premier League Football & US PGA Golf
2014 Australia v England ODIs 6 Nations Rugby, Premier League Football, Players Golf, Wimbledon Tennis, Open Golf & US Open Tennis
2013 Players Golf, Premier League Football, French Open Tennis, Open Golf & US PGA Golf
2012 New Zealand v Zimbabwe ODIs, Sri Lanka v England Tests Betting & WI vs NZ ODIs US Open Golf & Open Golf
2011 India v England ODIs & Bangladesh v Pakistan Combined Wimbledon Tennis
ianp1970

Team(s) Supported: England
Warwickshire
Rugby
Market Deeping

Postby bigfluffylemon » Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:05 am

That's crazy talk Ian. Everyone knows you pick your best XI players and then shape the team to fit them, not the other way around. After all, that's why England are so successful.

Oh, wait...
2022 Big Bash League FL
2023 Women's T20 World Cup FL
bigfluffylemon

Team(s) Supported: England. Australia.
Any team playing good cricket in the right spirit.

Postby The Professor » Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:22 am

Jennings is done.

I'd think Burns and Denny have done enough to be retained.
"It has been said of the unseen army of the dead, on their everlasting march, that when they are passing a rural cricket ground the Englishman falls out of the ranks for a moment to look over the gate and smile."
The Professor

Team(s) Supported: England
Kent

Postby andy » Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:41 pm

The Professor wrote:Jennings is done.

I'd think Burns and Denny have done enough to be retained.

:thumb
2012 - ENG vs SA ODI series winner
2013 - US Open golf winner, WI vs PAK winner , ENG vs OZ ODI and T20 winner
2015- Open golf championship winner
2017 - OZ vs Pak odi'S, AUS vs NZ ODI, NZ vs SA Tests , WI vs PAK tests
2018 - NZ vs Pak t20 FL winner2018 - SA vs Ind test match fl winner US open golf FL [color=#0000FF] - [color=#FF0000]Open golf FL winner

Essex CCC county champions
andy

Team(s) Supported: Essex CCC
West ham united
Sunrisers Hyderberad
England

Postby Slipstream » Tue Feb 19, 2019 4:28 am

I heard that Flower had applied for the Warks job. Shame he didn't get it as he will carry on selecting the Lions squads.
Slipstream

Postby Alviro Patterson » Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:12 pm

Jordan Archer seems to be getting a lot of media hype for World Cup inclusion. He might have a bit of x-factor, but is far from prolific anything outside the Twenty20 circuit and it's not like England are short of quality options in pace. A standby player maybe, but don't agree with him being fast-track to a 15 man squad.
"Stats are there to be broken" Dominic Cork
"They took all our players away, banned our captain and we still came away with a ten-wicket victory" Jason Gillespie
"You won't get anywhere slouching about half out of bed" Geoffrey Boycott

2011-12 Oz vs India Tests FL guru | 2012-13 Oz vs SA Tests FL guru | 2012-13 Bang vs WI combined FL guru | 2013 Friends Life T20 FL guru | 2015 The Ashes FL guru | 2015 County Championship D2 FL guru | 2016 Womens WT20 FL guru| 2016 Eng v Pak Tests FL guru | 2017 Kia Super League FL guru | 2018 County Championship D2 FL guru
Alviro Patterson

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire CCC, Bradford City FC

Postby Slipstream » Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:11 am

Alviro Patterson wrote:Jordan Archer seems to be getting a lot of media hype for World Cup inclusion. He might have a bit of x-factor, but is far from prolific anything outside the Twenty20 circuit and it's not like England are short of quality options in pace. A standby player maybe, but don't agree with him being fast-track to a 15 man squad.

Same here. We haven't even had him in the Lions. Pietersen played in the Lions before he qualified for England. I have read Archer is also likely to be in the Ashes squad. Anderson, Broad, Stokes, Woakes, Wood, Curran or Stone.

Archer could be in the T20s though.
Slipstream

Postby sussexpob » Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:50 pm

He has bags of potential, but I think they have to test drive him before taking him to a world cup.
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

And a hat and bra to you too, my good sirs!
sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....
England and Norway at everything else

PreviousNext

Return to International Cricket